Family Care & Support Program
Silky Oaks’ Family Care & Support (FCS) Program is funded by the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy to provide centre-based support, mobile support and temporary supported accommodation.
The FCS program supports clients who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness, in the Manly, Wynnum and Redlands geographical areas. Clients may self-refer to the program or be referred by community agencies or government departments.
The program provides centre-based support at our Manly West location and mobile support at housing hubs or client’s homes. This includes case management, such as information, referral to support services, housing applications, advocacy and emotional support. Centre-based support also includes practical assistance through shower facilities for those sleeping rough. Clients housed in our accommodation are provided intensive, goal oriented case management with a focus to strengthen their ability to obtain and sustain future tenancies.
What services do we provide?
- Information, support, referrals and advocacy through our centre-based and mobile support for individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- Intensive case management through centre-based or mobile support, focused on supporting clients with barriers to housing, to access accommodation.
- Individual case plans to address client’s short/long term goals in relation to their housing needs.
- Support for clients accommodated with Silky Oaks, such as developing knowledge and skills in parenting, budgeting, and other life skills.
- Information about and referral to relevant government or community supports.
- Emotional and practical support.
Our program operates from a ‘Housing First’ approach with the aim wherever possible, to transition clients from homelessness into stable, sustainable housing. This approach seeks to minimise vulnerable people having to move through multiple short-term, temporary living situations.
The Housing First principles include:
- Accessing housing as quickly as possible, with ongoing support provided (where needed) to establish and consolidate the new tenancy
- Minimising moves between multiple short-term accommodation arrangements
- Providing tenancy sustainment support to keep people housed
- Working with other service providers to deliver coordinated services once housed
- Connecting clients with mainstream services to provide ongoing support directed at helping them to sustain their tenancy and future tenancies
- Facilitating connections to local community and social supports to build community connectedness and reduce social isolation
We have several houses in the Manly, Wynnum and Redlands geographical areas and can refer clients to other housing providers in the greater Brisbane region. Most of our properties are 3 bedroom.
We are classified as temporary supported accommodation, so each tenancy is for 13 weeks.
For enquiries about accommodation, centre-based or mobile support please contact the Family Care and Support Team on (07) 3906 8888.